Public Debates on Sustainability
November 16, 2023
In the Anthropocene epoch of today, we are facing a global polycrisis: the intertwined and cascading crises of climate change, biodiversity loss and socio-ecological vulnerability. To confront this polycrisis, what if we learned to engage other ways of knowing the world around us?
The third edition of the Norman Foster Foundation Public Debates on Sustainability took place on Tuesday 14 November 2023 with the support of Rolex, and explored a sustainable future in which more-than-human design re-engages with nature for compassionate co-existence. The Public Debates were moderated by Nina-Marie Lister, Professor and Director, Ecological Design Lab, Toronto Metropolitan University; Founding Principal, PLANDFORM, Toronto, Canada.
With a five-minute keynote and debate between the following experts:
- Maya Lin, Director, Maya Lin Studio, New York, NY, United States
- Simon Kretz, Founder and Partner, Salewski Nater Kretz, Zurich, Switzerland
- Mathis Wackernagel, Co-Founder and President, Global Footprint Network, Oakland, CA, United States
And a conversation between:
- Mario Cucinella, Founder and President, Mario Cucinella Architects, Bologna, Italy
- Nina-Marie Lister, Professor and Director, Ecological Design Lab, Toronto Metropolitan University; Founding Principal, PLANDFORM, Toronto, Canada
Watch the full video here.